It's not a perfect system. It is a system of people, and people make mistakes. So the system is only as good as the people in it.
False Allegations: Sometimes the trouble starts when people accuse others of crimes that didn't happen. It happens frequently, but the damage is greatest when the innocent person is accused of something like rape or child molestation. An objective investigator can ferret out false allegations, but too often they presume the honesty of the "victim" without question.
- Student Arrested In False Sex Assault Report On Campus
- Woman Lied About Rape to Get Boyfriend Home from Military (But then they cut her a break.)
- Woman Cries Rape Because She Didn't Enjoy It
- ELEVEN False Rape Claims
- Campus Rape Claims Prove False
- Man Beaten To Death After False Rape Allegation. Apparently, the cheating female didn't want to admit that the sex was consensual.
- Student Charged Over False Sexual Assault Accusation.
False Arrests: False arrests aren't as bad as convictions, but they can be costly for taxpayers too.
- LONG ISLAND WOMAN RECEIVES $1.12 MILLION FOR FALSE PROSECUTION
- New York City Arrests, Prosecutes, Eventually Settles With Legal Knife Owner for $7500 (Note that his public defender told him to plea guilty even though he had committed no crime.
- Judge Looks Away While Officer Arrests Woman Accusing Him of Assault
- $25,000 For Woman Arrrested For Recording Police
- Connecticut Man Sues For Unconstitutional Arrest because he wrote profanities on his ticket.
- Audio Recording Exonerates Uber Driver Falsley Accused Of Rape
False Confessions: The easiest way to not be tricked into a false confession is to refuse to speak to the police at all. But unfortunately, police are very good at getting people to talk. So sometimes, false convictions are based on false confessions. (Yes, people sometimes really do confess to things they didn't do.)
- The 5 Most Controversial False Confessions
- Why Do People Confess to Crimes They Didn't Commit?
- False Confession Sent An Innocent Man To Prison For 22 Years
- Why Do Innocent People Confess?
- List of False Confession News
- Famous False Confession Cases
- False Confessions Plague Criminal Justice System With Wrongful Convictions and Wrongful "Guilty" Pleas
False Convictions: Here are a few articles I've collected about those who were wrongfully convicted of crimes they didn't commit.
- Wrongly convicted man released from US prison after 39 years
- Man in prison 19 years freed after claim recanted
- Georgia General Assembly Awards Wrongfully Convicted Man $400,000
- The Staggering Number of Wrongful Convictions in America