According to a recent article in Christian Science Monitor, the US has deported more than 400,000 undocumented immigrants in 2012, the most in our nation's history:
The Obama administration deported at least 400,000 illegal immigrants in fiscal year 2012, a new record. It emphasizes deporting 'criminal aliens' to protect public safety, but the high figure serves to remind Latinos of the president's unfilled pledge to reform immigration policy.
The Obama administration says that most of the deported immigrants (55%) were removed because of criminal violations. Most wouldn't disagree that those who commit serious crimes should be removed from the United States. However, if the government is to be believed, the other 45%, which represent 180,000 people, didn't commit serious crimes and were still deported. Their families probably include small children that are US citizens. Families are being ripped apart and that will continue until the White House and Congress pass legislation that gives immigrants the opportunity to contribute to this great country as citizens or legal permanent residents. In the past, Congress has contemplated the DREAM Act, which would give certain young undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship either by military service or college completion, but it is yet to be approved. The Administration's last effort resulted in the Deferred Action Program which allows certain young immigrants relief from deportation if they are attempting to further their education.
If you find yourself facing deportation, give us a call. We can help.